??Confused??

There is a very special place in my heart for the confused! When I worked at the nursing home, I wrote a little bit about my favorite people so I wouldn’t forget them. Sometimes I try and name off all the residents I took care of picturing the hallway going from end to the other. I thought I would never forget their names. But now I can only remember a few that stuck out in my mind as my favorites…

She spit CONSTANTLY and would yell, “Somebody help me please!” in her southern drawl. She was blind and practically deaf but as cute as they came. She knew just about every gospel song written and all I had to do was start the first line and she’d carry it away. She would answer every question in “Yeah” or “Okay” even when it didn’t make any sense. She was truly one of my favorites, but you’d have to watch how close you got or she’d accidentally spit in your face... or was it an accident??

She suffered from Alzheimer’s and would spend all day sitting in her recliner with her legs crossed reading a book (she wasn’t actually reading). Every time I came into her room she would tell me how cute I looked or how adorable my outfit was. Sometimes she’d even give me fashion advice. When it was time for bed I’d expect to be in her room for 20 min or more. She would joke that she was a big fat turtle because of her joint pain. After dinner she’d wrap up ½ of her grilled cheese sandwich and give the rest to me. I also loved how she’d say, “Yes mam,” when I’d tell her what to do next. One night I sat beside her bed and she told me she’d like to be my Grandma. Anytime I needed anything I could come to her, and when she needed something she’d come to me.

Oh my was Emily a feisty one! Every night we'd make her a little night cap of scotch and water. She'd look at my wedding ring and ask who the lucky fellow was. Then she'd ask to see a picture because "Every good wife keeps a picture of their husband in their wallet." Her daughter would come over every Friday to watch ER and they'd snuggle on her bed. I don't think she kept up with the plot but just enjoyed the company. Her skin would itch so unbearably she'd scream at us to scratch it. She'd say, "Scratch until the skin comes off." We eventually had to take away her wooden back scratcher:) Man did she have a good sense of humor!

I miss working at the nursing home! I got to know everyone I took care of and felt like I was making a difference. Working at the hospital, I feel rushed and I hate the feeling of giving incomplete care. I would rather not do it at all than do a poor job. So now, I work at the desk.

Now I dread having to work as a CNA. Has the hospital ruined me?? Or have I just been doing it too long and I’m ready for a change? Only… this career is just beginning for me. Sometimes I question if I’m really cut out for this kinda thing. Will I enjoy nursing? Am I going to end up working at a nursing home with crappy pay after all this time I put into my education? Or will having my RN give me then extra time I needed to get back to my preferred way of caring for people? Man I sure hope that’s the answer.

Comments

  1. What compassion. Who's kid are you anyway? Oh right, Mom's.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment