Dying the hard way

How would you like to go? I’ve always said I’d like be in a bus crash with everyone I love and we’d all die instantly. A little greedy… I know. But come on, it’d be painless, the people I cared about wouldn’t grieve, and I wouldn’t have to worry about leaving anyone. Perfect. Some people want to die in their sleep or when they’re 110 and can say they’ve lived their life to the fullest. Either way, I think it’s natural to wonder how your last days will go down. Will I suffer? Will I see it coming?

Working in the hospital, I’ve had my fair share of witnessing death. Sometimes I’m able to say they left this world without pain. But unfortunately, I can’t always say that.

A man I once knew was told hedidn’t have much longer to live... and he knew it too. He was in a great deal of pain. He went from one day being able to talk, to the next being so weak he could only write. The nurse went in to assess his pain and he was so weak all he could muster was, “I…. I…. I’m…” She handed him a pen and paper so he could finish his thought.

What he wrote brought me to tears. “I’m dying… the hard way.”


The next day he was gone.

The night before he died, wife said, “I hope he makes it to next week so his social security check will come.” He showed her.

The point is we can’t plan our death. Sure, everyone would like to hope it’d be painless and not too early. But I might suffer. I might die the hard way. But there is something we can plan. We can plan what happens after I die. We can be at peace in those last minutes know it’s not the end, that God is with us, we’ll be seeing Jesus soon, and our family will be taken care of. I want to know when my final days come that I’ve lived my life for Jesus and loved everyone with his love. I will plan my life… and he’ll take care of my death.

Comments