Owen's Birth Story

My last post left off with getting an epidural around 1am. We kicked everyone out of our room and tried to catch some sleep. I think I slept for an hour and maybe Jesse 2. From then on we slept in 15 minute increments. At around 3:30am Owen was having some late heart rate decelerations. The nurse decided to check me and I was 7cm dilated. We tried several positions until he was happy with me on my far left side. They inserted a fetal scalp monitor to capture a more consistent heart rate. I was instructed to essentially not move because every time I did his heart rate dropped. To decrease risk of infection I was told I wouldn't be checked again until I felt a change in sensation or pressure. We had high hopes for a delivery soon as with Easton I went from 7cm to delivery in about an hour. My sisters had just gotten home to rest and with the news of 7cm they all headed back worried they would miss it. We all kept thinking that this being my third baby things would go quicker.

But with continued short decelerations we began to get inpatient and a little bit worried. The idea of an emergency C-section was creeping in the back of my mind... the one thing I have always feared and absolutely wanted to avoid at all costs. I felt a little bit of pressure around 5am and asked to be checked. To our disappointment I had barely made any change. By 7am I had no change in sensation and the decelerations continued as I was getting VERY sick of being stuck on my side. I was wishing I could be on a labor ball or something!

Then come to learn my nurse had been letting us sleep (which we were not doing anyway) and had left us off the contraction monitor for quite a while. I had not felt contractions sure enough labor had pretty much stalled. Looking back I think my nurse should have intervened earlier as I had made little progress from 3:30am - 7:00am. But what do I know, I'm not a labor nurse. Dayshift brought a new nurse and a new perspective. My doctor ordered pitocin to get me back in a good labor pattern and by 9:30am things were back in action. My doctor came in to check me and I was almost 9cm and Owen was starting to drop lower. He suspected he was a little bit crooked in the birth canal which was causing most of the problems. Dr. Beller left to get some coffee while I finished dilating and labored down.

Shortly after I learned he had physically left the building I began to feel pressure. I started pushing my epidural button in preparation for his big arrival. I had everyone write their guesses for his weight, height, and birth time on the white board. Just as I was beginning to get nervous that Owen was going to creep his way out unattended, Dr. Beller returned from his coffee break at 10:40am. The nurses prepared the room and began to break down the bed. We were joking that I had 10 minutes to get him out and Heidi would win the time prediction. Sure enough I was complete and he was very very low...which duh, I could have told ya that. Everyone took their positions and Dr. Beller allowed me to do my thing. My first contraction I left my feet in the stirrups for 3 sets of pushes while my fan club watched from the couch... this was not super effective. So the next contraction I held my own legs which was awkward given their numb state. On my second push the couch crew rushed in to help support. By the third push Owen was out. All of 3 minutes later, exactly at 10:50am. Everyone was a little shocked that he came out so quickly and Heidi was thrilled to have guessed it on the dot.

He came right to my chest, cried his little lungs out, and had great APGAR scores. He continued to tell us all about how cold and bright his new world was. Every picture someone took he cried his adorable little cry. Within about 10 minutes he was looking for some food and latched on like a champ. Despite his quick descent there were no complications for me. His squeeze time down the canal was a little short so his lungs were a bit wet but didn't need any suctioning. We nursed for an hour while my fan club went home exhausted. Jesse and I got to enjoy our little man while he was weighed and bathed. Between nursing we tried to catch some sleep but we are still exhausted from our all nighter.

We had planned to bring the kids in to meet his new brother tonight but the day got away from us. Jesse went home to be with the kids and watch the Super Bowl and my mom came to stay the night. I am hoping for a good nights sleep. So far Owen is a perfect little angel and we couldn't be happier. I am so excited to see Elliott's reaction to our new addition. And I'm so thankful for a healthy mom, healthy baby, and supportive family.

Settling in for a long night


Milkin' it while I can













Comments

  1. I totally cried. Love it so much!! Beautiful boy and wonderful addition to your amazing family!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is wonderful and thank you for sharing your story. I loved reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is wonderful and thank you for sharing your story. I loved reading it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment