How I Know God Is Real

"For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11 (NLT)

Jesse and I picked this as our wedding verse. My dad read it during our ceremony and whenever I feel stressed over our future, I think about this verse. It helps remind me that there's a grand conductor over our life, and whatever off beat we think throws our way,it eventually turns into a masterpiece.

It started soon after our wedding... we had no place to live (poor planning on our part). Then my parents decided to move to Costa Rica and let us live in their house for three months. During that time we were frantically looking for another place to live but everything was out of our budget (ff beat). Soon after my parents returned home, Jesse's brother bought a house to fix up as a rental. Because it was in need of a lot of work and he'd be in and out often remodeling, he offered to let us live in it for dirt cheap (masterpiece).

When the remodel was finished, he informed us rent would double to a price far beyond our budget (off beat). That same day, our friends informed us they made an offer on a house and was moving out of their duplex... the one we've had our eye on since the beginning. Right when it was time to move out, the duplex was ready and we didn't have to pay double rent (masterpiece).

That same year Jesse was applying for paramedic school and I was applying for nursing school. Jesse got in... and I didn't (off beat). At the time I was working in Albany and was so sick of driving. I applied for a job in Springfield and got it. Jesse and I had a hard year while he was in school and never saw each other. We were barely making it financially and we hardly saw each other. The next year I re-applied for nursing school, got accepted, and Jesse graduated. When I started school, I realized there was NO WAY he and I could have attended school full time and both tried to work. Now Jesse can work full-time, I can work part-time, attend school, and we see each other more than ever! (masterpiece).

I know God is real in our life and is constantly giving us things we need but don't know how to ask for. He knows our plans and is watching over us to carry them out to form our future. These "off beats" he throws us, reminds me that we can't do this life alone. Whenever I thought I knew a better way than he did, he'd stop me in my tracks and show me His way. It was hard to trust that my future would come about, because I perceived His ways as set backs. But I'm slowly learning that he's not setting me back, he's guiding our lives through obstacles I never saw to create a masterpiece....

I wonder what he has in store for our next phase of life

Comments

  1. Damaris,

    I love this....you will have to show me how to do this for myself one day. I appreciate your comments and thoughts....very much!

    Cathy Schoonover

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and your hubbys story sounds similar to ours. We moved to Maui two weeks after our wedding because I got into nursing school there. When we got there we lived in less than 400 sq ft garage for 950 a month. I worked at a medical office for a huge A-hole and Brandon was promised work before we moved and it wasn't really coming in. So we decided to move after three months in Maui because we literally had like 65 left in our bank account-So we did everything fun we could do there and Brandon called up his brother in Corvallis and got a job right away. God has completely opened doors here for us and I got into school right away. I know now that God really wants us here. God has really shown us the proverb Man may plan his steps but the Lord directs them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment