So Close!

One night I took care of a very impulsive patient who also happened to be unsteady on their feet. Winning combination. We had every fall prevention measure in place. The bed was low, the rails were up, the bed alarm was on, and their every move was even being watched. Well... I'm peacefully working away when I hear my trusty sidekick making a couple phone calls to inform the nurse or CNA that this patient was sitting on the edge of the bed.

I can hear she's not having much success so when they tell me their no longer sitting... but now standing... I run into the room. The patient is standing next to the bed, with depends around their ankles, and takes a step back, tripping, and in super slow motion falls back onto their butt and then their head. I reached forward to catch them and could only get a hold of the gown... as the patient fell back on to the floor.

If only I would have run around the corner a little faster. Been born with 3 inch longer arms. Went into the room when I heard no one was available, anticipating the patient's needs before they asked. So many "if onlys" that could have prevented the patient from falling.

I don't think I can describe to you how frustrating it was that I didn't catch them. SOOOO CLOOOSE!!!

Comments