Cutters

So I'm waiting in line today in the cafeteria at work for some pasta... yumm. There were two people in front of me and I was being courteous and giving them space, but not too much space to imply I wasn't in line. As I'm waiting, with my 30 min lunch window ticking away, this man slowly walks up behind me. He pauses for a moment and then walks in front of me, easing himself before me in line. I thought, "Surely he's just looking to see what they have to offer me and not cutting." Well sure as heck I was wrong.

And you know what I did?? Nothing.

What do you say to line cutters? I'm very non confrontational and  I don't want to appear rude. But I also deserve my pasta first jerk! In my head, it seems very easy to say, "Excuse me sir, the end of the line is behind me." "Excuse me, I'm also in line." But for some reason, I can't make those words come out. I just stand there with a stupid smile on my face and cuss the man out in my head.

For all I know, he didn't think I was in line. If I would have politely spoken up, I'm sure he would have apologized and went to the end of the line. What would he have done? Pick a fight in a hospital cafeteria? So why is it so hard? Why can't I just say what I'm thinking?

This is a skill I really need to develop. What will happen when I see someone making a mistake at work? If I keep on this spineless path, I'll probably think, "Excuse me, I think you might mean to give 2mg instead of 4mg." But will anything come out of my mouth? No. However, if I learn to speak up I will not only prevent the patient from harm, but also save another nurse from making a mistake. I know I would appreciate a heads up instead of discovering my error later, resulting in an incident report.

So as a late New Years resolution, I'm going to grow a spine. When my order at a restaurant is incorrect, I will send it back. When someone cuts me in line, I will confront them. And most importantly, when I disagree with a decision at work, I will offer my opinion. At first my voice may shake, I might break out in a sweat, and it may even come off as rude. But I think with some practice it will become natural and comfortable. Wish me luck.

Comments