My Least Favorite Part of Pregnancy

I am stubborn, proud, and independent. My three greatest faults. Because of this I do not like to accept unsolicited help even if I want or need it. I like to take on the world on my own and prove my strength. Okay, step one complete... Admitting my problem. But I'm not quite ready for step number two, which leads into my dilemma. Pregnancy.

 By far my least favorite part of being pregnant is the unsolicited help. I know right? It's so terrible when people want to help the fatty fatty 2x4 packing a crying 30 lb toddler who refuses to walk, steering a shopping cart, and talking on the phone. How rude. But seriously. Pregnancy is not a disability. Constantly people at work tell me... "Don't lift that, don't bend over, you can't take that patient, and you shouldn't be working so much." I want to scream! It
 makes me feel reduced, less than, incapable, and weak. Yes I am carrying a child inside my body... But the emphasis is on MY body, and I know how to listen to it. When I need help I will ask for it! I can take care of MRSA patients, pneumonia patients, ventilated patients, do compressions, and boost patients up in bed. Come to think of it not much has changed from 8 months ago. Sure I might not fit into tight spaces and I'll ask for 2 people to help me instead of 1.... But I'm still the same old capable me.

 And this capable body is getting less tolerant of people telling me what it can't do. I know all of you sweet, loving, well wishing friends, family, and coworkers out there are just trying to look out for me and my baby. But this stubborn gray mare can't take another, "You shouldn't be doing ----" comment. So if you happen to see me struggling, lifting something heavy, climbing a ladder, or heaven forbid sneaking a drink of Jesse's beer... Resist the urge to be nice. Be a total jerk and just look away, let me struggle, and whatever you do don't help me. Allowing me to keep my independence is the greatest help of all.

 P.S. I just realized my children will have one heck of a time when I'm old and literally disabled!

Comments