The Power of Touch

In nursing school our instructors emphasized the importance of human contact and encouraged us not to be afraid to touch our patients. It seems obvious that touch would be involved when providing nursing care, but it was the type of touch that was important. A reassuring hand on an arm is different than holding an arm still before starting an IV. In school I couldn't appreciate all the touchy feeling psychosocial aspect of nursing and preferred to focus on the physiological side; afterall, touch doesn't keep patients alive. Sure I had compassion and would use therapeutic touch when I felt called to do so... but it wasn't really my "thing". I have since then began to appreciate it's power.

It first began in small ways. A patient would ask me to scratch their back after laying in bed all day and I could see them melt under my hands. When I got comfortable with scratching I graduated to massage. I would watch my patient's shoulders relax, head sag lower in relaxation, and breathing slow down with just a 60 second massage. They would say, "You have no idea how good that feels." But I actually did know how good that felt. When I was hospitalized in high school, Mckenzie Willamette had a massage therapist that would make rounds to all the patients. I have very limited memories of my 3 day hospital stay but I can still remember that 5 minute massage like it was yesterday.

But it really sunk in for me when I was having a particularly hard day at work. I was doing everything in my power to keep a patient alive until her family could be at her side. It was emotionally and physically draining to work so hard only to give the last dose of morphine hours later. A coworker approached me during the chaos, gently put his hand around me, and said, "This must be hard. You're doing a good job. Is there anything I can do for you?" I almost burst into tears. That simple expression and touch meant so much to me. It both calmed and re-energized me, giving me just enough to refocus and continue to take care of my patient.

I occasionally think back to that situation and apply it to my work. Patients and family in the ICU go through so much physical, mental, and emotional stress. Therapeutic touch really does have power! As I've become more comfortable in my role as a nurse, touch has transformed from a concept I could give or take, into an everyday part of my practice.

During a class at work I noticed how automatic touch is for other nurses as well. The class was to practice code situations with a simulation mannequin. As we were given the scenario, I watched as each nurse slowly made their way to the patient and laid their hand on the mannequin's arm. We saved every one of those patient's during that class. Maybe touch really does save lives.

Comments