OBDR #2

Our second back roads adventure was a success! I am terrible with directions so I can't even tell you where we were half the time. To my credit however, I don't think our "Wagon Master" knew where we were half the time either. The back roads we take rarely have signs and they all look the same. I do know we camped by Thompson Reservoir and Summit Lake.

I was most worried about the nights and I was right to worry. Of course Easton would decide to get 3 new teeth and have a cold. The first night was pretty chilly so he slept with us. He was up every couple hours losing his binki because he had to chose to breathe or suck with his congested nose. The second night was warmer but oh man... he woke up about 4 times and SCREAMED bloody murder. Usually he falls right back asleep after eating. But I literally had to vigorously bounce him with his arms held down and force him to take his binki. I felt terrible for him but I almost felt worse for all the other campers. Then of course he woke Elliott up. She kept wiggling out of her sleeping bag then would wake up cold. But she was half asleep and completely unable to reason with. Jesse spent half the night snuggling her on the ground. The third night we finally figured out the best sleeping arrangement and I drugged Easton up. Overall I don't think we did terrible for our first time tent camping with two young kids.

The days were easy. Easton spent the mornings in his camp highchair (lifesaver) and Elliott played with her friends while we cooked dinner and took down camp. I think we drove about 5 hours a day, stopping for social breaks and lunch. The trails we took this time were my favorite thus far and we even hit snow! The kids took their naps in the car then alternated sitting up front with us. There were only a couple times we had to use the ipad for entertainment. Easton loved having his carseat forward facing so he could see. Elliott talked the whole time and loves the bronco. Luckily there were lots of amazing helpers who were always willing to hold or pack Easton around for me when my hands were full!

Evenings were the most fun. After setting up camp and eating dinner it was social hour. We bought a new outdoor game, Kubb, that kept us all entertained. Every night the guys attempted to build a bigger fire. By the third night I'm pretty sure Jesse just threw in whole trees. The highlight was the "freeze" dance party with Mark and the kids. Oh man our kids have good dance moves! I would let Elliott stay up between 9-10 and hit the hay with her. Ear plugs were a must; not only to drown out the music, but for the other campers to drown out Easton!

All in all it was a good trip and no one broke down (Could have done without the mosquitos). Jesse is going to attempt "Wagon Master" for our next trip over Labor Day. I hope it doesn't add too much stress. It can get pretty hairy trying to navigate through the trails.

















Comments