The Last Baby

Owen is one.

We had a small celebration at our house. I had a less than enjoyable time at his party. I was crabby and emotional. I'd spent the day before baking, the morning of cleaning, the afternoon cooking, and the evening crying. I couldn't quite put my finger on my mood. Was it because Jesse didn't help me clean, because the food was gross, or because my Mom was out of town and couldn't be there? I talked over all my issues with Jesse but I still didn't feel resolution. He said, "Just come snuggle and maybe you'll feel better." I laid on his chest trying to pinpoint what I was feeling. I finally gave in to some tears and said, "My baby isn't a baby anymore." That was the real problem.

I have never been one to hold on to the baby stage. I usually welcome birthdays and love watching my kids grow up. But Owen is our last baby... and we're officially done with the baby stage. I'm surprised how much it hurts. Jesse kindly laughed at my tears and said, "You're crying because he's not a baby, and I'd cry if we had another baby." So yes everyone, we are done. The Bishop Circus will forever remain a 5 person act.

Owen on the other hand had a great time at his party. He was so excited to see his family, especially grandpa. Of course his favorite was the cake. We decided to make him a monkey because he's always climbing on things. We bought him a big stuffed animal, a dog crossed with a caterpillar. He loves to snuggle it but I think the older kids love it more.

Here's a little more about Owen
  • He loves his bed! He's been awake for an hour this morning and he's just in there snuggling his blanket and rolling around. Whenever we have to sleep away from home he wakes up every couple hours missing his own bed.
  • He's a snuggle bug. If you have his blanket he's perfectly content being held and nuzzling in.
  • The boy can eat! And now he loves to use a fork.
  • He loves to climb. He crawls into the toy box, gets up on the couch, sits in the kids' chair, and climbs out of his highchair. He may be the most coordinated out of the three. There's a step down to our living room and I remember it took Elliott and Easton the longest time to figure out how to navigate it. Easton used to do it on his belly head first and Elliott was terrified of it. Owen makes their methods look silly.
  • He loves his Mama. He's getting better but he used to want me to hold him all the time. At the gym he has to be able to see me at ALL times. If I even bring him close to the kids room the wailing begins. 
  • He loves to make messes. We finally broke down and installed cabinet latches in the kitchen. Which is funny we did it so late in the game. But he goes right to the tupperware cabinet and takes them ALL out. I got sick of cleaning up that damn cabinet 10 times a day.
  • He likes Siri. If there's a phone left unattended he goes straight for Siri. Their conversation usually consists of this. Owen: Ahh. Siri: I'm not sure what you said Damaris. Owen: Ahh.
  • He's very oral. One of most common phrases in our house is, "What's in your mouth?"
  • He's learning to communicate. He just learned how to sign "more", he says "Uh" for uh-oh when he drops something, shakes his head "no", imitates our high pitched voice for "please" and makes the sounds ba,ma, and da.
  • He echolocates with Jesse. It's pretty hilarious actually. Jesse says "ah" and Owen replies then comes to find him.
Although I'm sad that we're done with the baby phase, I'm also glad to see it go. As all the kids grow our lives get easier and easier. Thank you Owen for completing our family. Happy Birthday Little O.

Woke up feeling like a stud



x




Mom took the cake, I'm out of here



Not a huge fan of the hat

His last snuggle as a baby



Comments