Owen is TWO!

I'm a little late... but Owen is TWO! For his birthday we had a special family day. We went to the bookstore to let him play with the train set and pick out a new book. Then we went to Toys-R-Us to pick his favorite toy. He loves shopping and adding things he likes in the cart (which I then take out when he looks away). It was no surprise to us he wanted a wooden train track set and trains. He is obsessed with trains and plays with them everyday. The first week we had them the first words out of him mouth in the morning where, "Trains Mama!" We take Prairie Road often and the whole drive he points out all the trains and wants to show his siblings too. "Elliott! Look, choo choo trains!" And he won't give up until she looks.

He has matured in so many ways these past months but is still very much our baby. His vocabulary increases every day and he's very good at getting his point across. He mainly speaks in two word sentences but occasionally uses three or four. He makes us laugh by adding "Now?" to just about everything. "Noodles now?" "Go now?" "Trains now?" We've been really trying to crack down on the screaming and whining as a form of communication and when we remind him to ask nicely, he takes a breath, and uses the sweetest little voice to ask nicely again.

He still prefers for me to carry him everywhere and always be within sight. I try and involve him in whatever I'm doing and it helps with the clinginess. He sits on the counter and stirs my coffee, cracks my eggs, sets the table, helps me fold clothes, feed the cat, or whatever task I can set him on to distract him from being held. We have also finally broke him of needing to sit on my lap for dinner... I can't believe I let him get away with that for so long! Although he's getting much easier he still has his days where he's attached to my leg crying until I pack him around. I can't wait for warm weather where I can send him outside to jump, swing, and play in the dirt.

He is also about 90% potty trained. He has been in underwear at home for about 6 months but I didn't trust him out of the house. We decided to ditch the pull-ups and he's doing great. Now he only wears a diaper at night. There is nothing cuter than a little toddler underwear booty.

He and Easton share a room now. It was a difficult transition as Easton was bothered by every slight movement or sound from Owen. But they're used to each other now and Easton can even sleep through him crying during the night. My favorite time with the boys is getting to rock them and sing before bed. Jesse has them hooked on Johnny Cash. We went through a rough week where he was waking up at 5:30am. I'd bring him to bed to snuggle, he'd wiggle around for a while, then gently pat my face and whisper, "Mama? iPad now?"

With Elliott in pre-school I was really hoping Easton and Owen could get some quality time together and start a special bond. But I'm afraid Easton and Elliott are so close they won't let him in. They play so well and independently. I can go lay down for an hour and they'll just be in their own world and not even miss me. But when I add Owen to the mix it's filled with, "Don't touch that, give me back my toy, get out of my room, MOM OWEN IS RUINING EVERYTHING." Poor Owen just wants to play with them. It breaks my heart and I'm worried he'll always be the annoying little brother. Owen absolutely loves babies and lately I've been considering having another one for him. I think he would get to form a close bond with him/her and have the kind of relationship the older two have. Now if I could only guarantee it'd be a girl :) I told Jesse my idea and to my amazement he paused for a moment and actually considered it. I could see the wheels turning as he feels the same way about Owen. Then he said in relief, "That wouldn't work, we won't all fit in the truck and wouldn't be able to pull the trailer." That man is always a thinker. Now I'm wondering if we could afford a new Tahoe to pull the trailer.

Happy birthday my big baby.


This was a particular crabby day


Loves to help cook

I HUGE balloon from Grammy and Gpa

Newborn to two

His special birthday lunch milkshake

His truck cake

New train set he picked out

Loving on baby Eloise 






Comments