Emergency What?

I think of ideas for blog topics at random times. So when an idea comes to me, I add it to a reminder list on my phone. I'm super bummer however, because on my list was, "Blame it on your heart." I have no idea what this is referring to, but it sounds like it would have been good. It's so frustrating that I literally have no recollection of ever adding that. Hmm.

So I'm forced to move on to my next topic, which sadly doesn't sound as interesting. "Spider bite in ED."

Jesse works in the ED (Emergency Department. You'll notice I didn't say ER (Emergency Room). He's so kindly informed me that it has more that one room actually... it's a whole department in fact. Okay okay, ED it is, even though many think of erectile dysfunction. But it's your dysfunction department, not mine.

I love to hear him tell stories from his day at work. Mainly because he seems so sweet on the outside but most of the time he's smiling thinkin, "Holy cow you're a frikin idiot." He has many stories of patients who don't get confused with the second letter of emergency department... but the first one... emergency. Some patient think it's an urgent department, a relief department, a somewhat concerned department, or an I'm too inpatient to wait until morning to see my own doctor department.

For instance..Someone comes into the emergency department (this is purely a made up situation that may reflect real events). Jesse kindly asks what they are here to be seen for.

"I think I was bitten by a spider," they say.
"Did you see a spider bite you?" he asks.
"No, I stuck my hand in a hole and I think I got bit by a spider."
"Did you feel the spider bite you."
"No."
"Is there are mark where you were bitten?"
"No. But I think there was a spider in the hole and I think it bit me. It could have been poisonous."
"Are you feeling sick?"
"No."

I don't see any evidence of an emergency here! Second example.

"I have this pain in my back," the patient complains.
"On a scale of 1-10 how would you rate your pain?" Jesse asks.
"3"
"How long have you had the pain?"
"Several months now."
"And so now all of a sudden at 3 am this pain becomes an emergency? Even though it's been the same pain you've had for months?"
"Yes. Are you mad at me young man."
"Nope. Just trying to better understand your definition of emergency." (Okay that might not have been how the conversation went.)

Comments