"See Ya Later"

Everyone has their own sign-off; a phrase they feel compelled to say so both parties know the conversation or interaction has ended. I would venture to say that people have more than one. For instance, I always tell my husband "I love you" before we end a phone conversation. I can't help it. It just happens. To end phone conversations with other people, I say, "Talk to you later."

Here are some more sign-offs I've heard: God bless, take care, have a good --- (insert appropriate time of day), see you tomorrow, call me, drive safely, etc.

I began noticing these uncontrollable phrases when I was working as a CNA at the Albany hospital. A couple times a day I would wheel patients down to their car after being discharged. I would carefully help them into the passenger seat, hand them their flowers to set in their lap, put their belongings in the back seat, and then say, "See you later," and shut the car door.

What a stupid thing to say to someone who is leaving the hospital!! I won't see you later... and if I do... neither of us are going to be thrilled about it. But I couldn't help saying it. I began to tell myself while wheeling patients out starting in the elevator ride, "I will not say see you later, I will not say see you later, I will not say see you later."

Transfer to seat, flowers, belongings, "See you later", shut door. DOH! DID IT AGAIN.

It took a lot of practice and concentration to change my sign-off. The first step was to come up with a unique sign-off for the specific occasion of wheeling patients out of the hospital to go home. "Take care now?" Awkward. "Have a nice day?" Probably not going to happen. "Take care of yourself." Implies you didn't and that's why you were here in the first place. "Good-luck." Hmm. Might apply if they just had a baby. "Feel better. Take care!" That might work. Still a little weird, but the whole scene is weird anyway.

Step two was practice, and I think I have finally mastered a new sign-off. But not without some awkward interactions, some self ridicule, and a lot of self encouragement. Now my next project is to work on cutting out all the unnecessary "Thank yous."

If you read this... kindly comment below what you say before hanging up the phone.

Comments

  1. Hello Damaris,
    In Costa Rica most people would say "Mucho Gusto", a phrase I still enjoy using very much. To translate into English as it is used would mean; to experience much joy and comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damaris,
    I neglected to add to my original comment that Much Gusto is a lot like the Hawaiian word Aloha. It can be used as a greeting or when departing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment