New Scenery

I think I grew a little today. As everyone knows the first day of a new job can be nerve wracking.. just like interviews. Well, clinicals in nursing school is like combining both of those scary things.

Last year I was spoiled enough to have all my clinical time at Albany (a hospital I worked at for 1 year). This meant I knew right where everything was, I knew the nurses, I knew the CNAs, and heck.. every time I'd see the manager she'd be sure to let me know there was a job waiting for me when I graduate. I was comfortable!

But this year is different. I'm at Corvallis. So yesterday was my very first time stepping on the floor. We got a quick tour and were wished the best. Today I was assigned to take care of one patient in the new environment. Everything was so different that I'm used to! The rooms were arranged differently, the call lights worked differently, the charts were kept in a different place, the medication was passed differently, and worse yet... I knew not a single soul (except my two other scared classmates). I had to force myself to be outgoing, ask questions but not be a pain, act professional, do my best work, and find everything I needed without knowing where any of it was. Why I say it's like a job interview, is because I will be applying to every job available when the time comes. With so many new nurses signing up for just a few positions... managers ask around to see what staff nurses thought of the students.

So overall I grew today. But not without blunders.

Comments