"Belly"

Why do we refer to our abdomen as our stomach? We say our stomach is too big when our pants don't fit, our stomach got really burnt laying out in the sun, and people have hairy stomachs. We use the correct terminology when talking about other body parts... chest, back, legs, etc. We don't generally call our body parts by their organs. "Man my heart [chest] is really hurting." Or "My kidneys [back] are sore." Plus... our stomach isn't even in the region we are generally referring to (see image below). It's an abdomen people!

Then when you're pregnant, your stomach suddenly becomes your belly... when really it's your uterus. It's just all so confusing to me!

Something else I don't understand, is why a large pregnant "belly" is considered "showing." Showing what? I tried thinking of some alternative sayings and soon realized a perk to the term "showing." No pregnant woman wants to be told, "You're getting much bigger, you really look pregnant, you're getting a tummy, and the ever dreaded... you're huge." Someone actually asked me today if I ate a small animal.

Anyway, a random post I know... but just some things that are on my mind.



Comments