Generation Smartphone

My generation scares me.

Apparently they're the type that, even when admitted to the ICU, can't put down their cell phones. Not only is their phone preciously gripped in their hand with the most recent useless Facebook updates cued, but they can't even stop talking long enough to swallow the medication necessary to save their life.

I'd like to think it's immaturity... but I have a feeling it's not.

Even as I complain about this, I'm typing on my computer and watching "The Biggest Loser" on my iphone. I take a bath and listen to music or watch HuluPlus. I sit on the couch watching Netflix, check my Facebook on the computer, and play a game on my iphone. (There are other times when I multitask with my phone but those confessions will scare you.) I feel a physical urge to be doing MORE if I'm only doing one thing at a time. I also must have my phone within reach at all times or know its exact location. I couldn't imagine the anxiety I'd feel if I had to go without it for a whole day.

So what will my generation accomplish? The highest percentage of motor vehicle accidents while texting? The worst social etiquette? The highest cell phone bills ever recorded? The lowest work productivity related to frequent texting/status updating/google-ing? The worst professionalism ever seen in the workplace? I could just imagining one of us answering our cell phone during an interview, "Hold on I gotta take this."

Who knows? Maybe I'm jaded. Maybe I witnessed immaturity and ignorance. Maybe my peeps are holding down the fort with good jobs, good manners, good work ethics, and responsibility. Maybe, just maybe...  the generational traits complained about above, will apply to those born after me.

Comments