Unexpected Friends

After a really fun night with our best friends I started thinking how our friendship was formed.

All through middle school and high school Jolene Garner and I ran in different social circles and had completely different interests. I played sports year round and loved weight lifting. She was more interested in raising cattle and 4H. In fact, in our middle school year book I wrote "Hate" by her picture (I'm still don't remember why). My main memories of her we gossiping to my friends about her favorite recess pass time... Making out with Jesse Bishop. Maybe that's why I hated her ;)

But Jordan and Jesse were a different story. They grew up across the street from each other and were best friends ever since. Their friendship was based on common interests: sports, hunting, trucks, and girls. Despite being Jesse's girlfriend, Jolene was Jordan's one true love. Lucky for Jordan and I, that relationship ended before high school.

Around the same time, Jordan finally convinced Jolene to date him, and Jesse reeled me in. In high school Jolene and I tolerated each other simply because our boyfriends were best friends. But deep down we were still frienemies. I was insecure of her and Jesse's friendship and at times thought they still had feelings for each other. Sometime later after graduation, under the influence of alcohol, our true feelings came out in a bathroom stall. We both admitted we weren't really all that fond of each other... But only because I didn't think she liked me, and she didn't think I liked her.

From that moment on our relationship changed from one out of respect for our boyfriends to a true friendship. And over the past 11 years our interests have aligned. We married our high school sweethearts, our husbands work together, we both worked in the medical field, we have similar aged kids, and bought our houses the same year. It blows my mind sometimes when I think about how in sync our lives have been. I am so thankful we drank too much that night... I couldn't have asked for better friends! Here's to many more drunken nights to come.


Comments