Mercy

I was blogging in my head yesterday and the title was going to be "Mercy." As in... I give up, I can't take it anymore, okay I've reached my limit... I cry mercy!! I mentioned before that my kids have been sick for weeks. Upon our second trip to the pediatrician, Easton was diagnosed with a pretty bad double ear infection. I have never been so happy to hear those words. I literally almost cried. This meant antibiotics, something treatable, and an end in site. I was going to ask my pediatrician to check Elliott's to be safe, but she was already backing up towards the door with her hand on the handle telling me good luck. Okay, I guess that means the appointment is over. Easton started to sleep better although they'd both wake up with occasional coughing fits. Three days later Elliott had a very sad night. She woke up coughing so hard I thought she was going to vomit. Easton thought he needed to be part of the action and stumbled down the hall following us to the bathroom with his blanket and stuffed bunny in tow. It took a while to get them both settled back down and I feared Elliott was developing something worse. A couple hours later she woke up with a fever and more terrible coughing. This prompted a trip to Urgent Care on Saturday morning where she too was started on antibiotics for an ear infection.

The rest of my day didn't quite go as planned. I was emotional, ready for baby, and exhausted. I had cabin fever, my kids were needy, and I failed twice at taking a nap. I was able to get some sister time in and distract myself for a couple hours... oh and heck... why not chug some castor oil while I'm at it. After that I threw myself my first pregnancy pity party and laid in bed with Elliott and cried for about 45 minutes. She couldn't understand why I couldn't read her princess book to her through my voice cracking. You know when you get started and just can't stop?

While in bed I was thanking God for His timing. Although I wanted to meet this baby so badly, there were many reasons why his "due date" was not ideal timing. The kids were sick, my car was in the shop, Jesse still had days he had to work, etc. Everyday was a mental battle for me between trusting God's timing and wanting to force the baby on my time. But now with both kids started on antibiotics and our nights going more smoothly, the timing was right. Jesse would have preferred to watch the Super Bowl, but he's not the one who has been pregnant for 284 days. Everyday overdue I became a little more discouraged. My two previous births were inductions and I desperately wanted to have a labor story. I was beginning to think it would never happen for me.

During my pity party I started noticing irregular painless contractions. I really really didn't want to think anything of it because I wasn't emotionally stable enough to be let down... again. I took out my phone a couple times to try and time contractions but then they'd space. So I just quit that all together. My dear hubby made us a delicious dinner once he realized I was a sinking ship. I perked up a little when the contractions stuck around but I still didn't want to speak the words for fear of jinxing myself.

After dinner I received probably the best news of the day. My mom spontaneously called and offered to deliver Blizzards. I requested a Birthday cake blizzard... I'm just now seeing the irony in that. My contractions continued but were still erratic and painless. It was getting closer to Elliott's bedtime and I was stalling to see if I should just send her to our friends house instead of have to wake her up. Just as my mom was walking out the door I stood up to head to the bathroom and a little surprise fluid came out early. I said, "Wait Mom!" and ran to the bathroom. My water was leaking. Praise the Lord. From then on it was scramble time. I had only packed the diaper bag so Jesse and I ran around the house throwing our things together and then I hopped in the shower. Jolene came and picked up our kids for a sleep over (so eternally grateful!) and we headed in to the hospital.

On the way I alerted my support group (all 5 sisters, 2 nieces, and my mom) that we were headed in. I knew I needed antibiotics 4 hours before delivery so I told them to stay home as it was going to be a long night. But I guess their excitement got the best of them and they were pretty much all there before my admission was complete. At around midnight Jesse and I were both feeling ready for some sleep but I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep through the contractions. I went ahead and requested an epidural. 1 hour later, four attempts, and many crunches of my vertebrae later, the catheter was in and we settled in for a nap. I think that lasted about an hour and now here we are. Jesse is snoring logs on the couch and my family is in the waiting room. I wish it was daytime so they could come entertain me but Daddy needs his Zzzzssss.

Well...I'm off to labor some more, I will finish my birth story tomorrow.

Comments

  1. That's alright. You are being stressed for the most righteous reasons, and that is enough of a merit in and of itself. That's really understandable with the fact that you're about to give birth soon. Anyway, it's good that you have great support in the form of your family and friends, who stepped up and took care of your kids while you are in labor and about to deliver another one. Thanks for sharing that, Damaris! Have a safe delivery!

    Terry Roberson @ MedCare Pediatric

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment