Old Brother

Our sweet boy is 1.5! And when I say sweet... I mean sweet like a Sour Patch Kid. He'll kick you in the shin then give you a kiss. Or pinch your cheek with a death grip, then offer up a huge hug. I had a vision of Easton's personality when I was pregnant and I saw "Sensitive." (Don't knock the visions... so far I'm 100% on my kids' strongest personality traits). I know "Sour Patch Kid" doesn't really sound like the sensitive type. But I think he's SO much boy, that he can't help but be rough sometimes and then he feels badly in his sensitive nature.

It's been eye opening to see the difference between boys and girls. Easton instinctively picked up a truck and made engine noises. He picks up a fork and pretends it's a gun. If anything makes noise he runs towards it. If it can drive, good luck pulling him away from it!! And he is constantly covered in bruises. This is exactly the opposite of Elliott at this age. His favorite things include: playing in my car (for which he recently locked himself in WITH the alarm going off), driving his new Power Wheels F-150, shooting anything and everything with his pretend gun, smashing things, hitting things with his bat, and destroying anything his big sister attempts to create. It's not uncommon for Elliott to beg, "Please Mom put Brother down for a nap so I can build my tower/paint a picture/play princesses, etc." He is literally ALL boy.

But he's also the sensitive boy I imagined he'd be. One corrective smack on the hand, will bring on the crocodile tears, and leave him running for a forgiveness hug. He also loves to snuggle and give kisses. Last week he leaned into Jesse and stroked his head... it was the most adorable sign of affection from a child I've ever seen. He knows when he has done something we don't approve of and is quick to ask for forgiveness. He is going to take after his Daddy and make a great husband someday.

We (I) was initially concerned over his delay in language development. Up until recently he was only expressing himself in grunts. He is now very good at getting his point across and is stringing together more than one word. He says, "Bye bye, Mom, Dad, up, please, hi brother, and there it is." He mimics the cadence of other words but doesn't enunciate them. For example, I know he's trying to say, "I don't know" when he raises up his arms in the typical, "I don't know" gesture and makes indistinct noises. I predict his vocabulary will exponentially increase over the next couple months. He is pretty good with his animal sounds and can mimic a horse pretty dead on!

He appears to be just as athletic as Elliott was as well. He has just started to jump and leave the ground with both feet, he has a great arm (so far no one has inherited Jesse's south paw), is an excellent climber, and has a remarkably strong grip. At the gym I usually let him run around for a couple minutes before we leave. He loves to swing from the rings, hit golf balls with a PVC pipe, row on the rowing machine, and pick up the 5 lb kettle bell. Next thing ya know he'll be bustin' out muscle ups ;)

Easton is feeling the strain of having New Brother around. It doesn't help he has also been sick and teething. But since Owen's arrival he has been more clingy, whiney, tested his limits, and been a terrible eater. When Owen was just a couple days old I took him with me to Easton's doctor appointment. I had Owen laying on the exam table while Easton was exploring the room. Easton came up to Owen and hit him right in the head. I smacked Easton's hand and told him "No." He looked at me and calculated his odds, then kicked Owen in the head. I once again smacked Easton's hand and told him "No." It was as if Easton was trying to figure out what was allowed. He got off the exam table and continued to explore... now aware that hitting and kicking New Brother were NOT allowed. He tries to be very sweet with Owen but has difficulty being gentle. When he gives him his binki it looks like he's trying to ram it down his throat... but it's the thought that counts. He also attempts to snuggle him but 30 lbs is a little too much weight to be laying on top of a newborn. But I know he loves his brother when he says, "Hi Brother" in his high pitches baby talk and strokes his hair. I'm very excited to see those 2 terrors grow up together. Did I say 2? I meant 3.

Today was his well check visit and he weighs 29lbs 5oz (96th percentile), 34 1/2 tall (98th percentile), and 19 1/4" head (88th percentile). I had her look at a small rash he's had on his back for about a month. She thought it was shingles. But for this to happen his chicken pox vaccine would have been ineffective and he contracted chicken pox that we never noticed. Or he had chicken pox before he was vaccinated. Shingles is also usually very painful as it runs along nerves and Easton hasn't seemed to even notice it. She offered to test it but it wouldn't change the treatment plan. She did warn however, that we need to keep it covered around Owen as he can contract chicken pox. I'm not too concerned about it because I'm not convinced it's shingles. Other than THAT... he was given a clean bill of health.

Here's a look back at our precious smiley boy...





















Comments