My decision to gain weight... in my bra

I have waffled with the idea of sharing my journey publicly or doing what the majority does and keep it private. And by journey... I mean breast augmentation.

Starting in early 2011, my body had grown accustomed to hormones which had blessed me with a womanly figure. Since then there were only a few hormone free months between being pregnant and breastfeeding. Now that I'm done with both of these hormone states, I've returned to my original figure... flat. And I mean like, "Is that her front or her back? I can't tell" flat. I don't mind being this way, except I have experienced the alternative, and over the past 5 years I'd started to like the alternative. So I made a decision to artificially return to my hormone induced womanly figure.

I have to admit it's awkward to talk to people about this. Who do you tell, who do you not tell, how do you explain to your work you have to take 3 weeks off? A co-worker recently lead me into a line of questioning and there was a point where I could lie, or just say why I was taking time off. I told her honestly, "I'm having my boobs put back on." It was uncomfortable, I'm not gonna lie. There's obviously something sexual about breasts and I felt so exposed and almost ashamed.

I think I feel this way because I have always been a supporter of loving the skin you're in. I don't know how many times I've told my friends and sisters that they're perfect the way they are... their stretch marks, extra rolls, grey hairs, wrinkles, crooked noses, etc. Now I feel like I'm the hypocrite.

But I want to clarify something. I have always been confident in who I am. I have never hated my body. I even love my flat chest. But could I be more satisfied if I made a change? Sure. And that's why I decided it was okay to share my journey. Because body shaming is a real thing. And I realized I was shaming myself for wanting something artificial.

The reason it felt so awkward for me be open with people about the surgery was because I hadn't completely accepted for myself that it was okay to change my body. And maybe some days I go back and forth with it. But if there's something anyone can do to make them feel better and look better while staying healthy then I don't think there's any shame in that!

Would you tell an overweight woman she shouldn't have lost weight? Of course not... whenever someone loses weight you hear everyone rave about how good they look. (Obviously this isn't a perfect example because I'm not getting healthier by adding on some silicone). But most often people lose weight because of how it makes them feel and look.

So although I think I look good and feel good now, I have the means and the opportunity to feel even better. So I'm gonna take it. And I'm not going to feel ashamed. And if you see me and think "Wow your new rack looks great", please tell me. Because it's nothing to be ashamed of.





Comments